As you can see in this blog, I recently started programming again in Pascal, eh, Delphi Object Pascal. The version I use (since it is the last version close to traditional Windows programming) is version 7. The best version to use, is the version that floats around as Delphi 7.2 Second Edition (search a torrent site) which is a trimmed and bugfixed small package.
Of course this package runs fine on Windows XP. But how on Windows 7 (and 8!)?
This is how I got it to work.
- Make sure you run this as administrator, you will need the privs.
- Run the Delphi installer. Use defaults for the file locations, ignore the incompability warnings.
- Dont start Delphi 7 as it will complain when starting a project about unable to rename delphi32.$$$ to .dro in the /program files/delphi directories . And something about debug options requiring a change.
So there are access problems, as to be expected. Windows 7 is a lot more robust, so directories are better protected.
Solve the access problems
- Run this as administrator.
- Open the properties on c:/program files/delphixxx directory.
- On the first tab Clear the Read-only attribute and press Apply for all files including subdirectory.
- Open the security tab
- Give users (and admins if necessary) full access to c:/program files (X86)/delphixxx directory
Now Delphi can be used to write programs again.
Edit August 2010: Windows 7 64 bit is also not a problem. Delphi is installed in C:\PROGRAM Files (X86)
Edit December 2014: Windows 8.1 64 bit also runs Delphi 7!
Help does not function, a windows pops up telling “winhelp is not supported anymore on this Windows version, go to microsoft.com for a fix” .
Search Microsoft.com Windows Help program for Windows 7′ or 8 or 8.1 on microsoft.com, currently here install that and you do not need the next trick.
Now on Windows 8.1 (64 bit) I got the winhelp installer throwing ‘Incompatible sytem’ errors at me. After some research it was solved by downloading installing the English (US) language pack and have that active during the install (Charms, PC Settings etc).
Now help functions also.